Claro & Cia. was the first Latin American law firm to earn the CarbonNeutral designation for all its activities, thereby earning the prestigious seal, CarbonNeutral® Company, reducing its net emissions down to zero, in accordance with the CarbonNeutral Protocol.
This step is part of an ongoing effort by the firm to reduce its environmental impact by means of compensating for its carbón emissions and is the beginning of a corporate sustainability plan.
Claro & Cia.’s commitment to reduce its impact on the environment consists in calculating the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced during 2010 in all the areas defined by the GHG protocol, namely all its direct emissions (Scope 1), indirect emissions (Scope 2), and Secope 3 indirect emissions, compensating 100% of the resulting emissions through carbon reduction projects.
Claro & Cia. achieved this project with the Chilean company, Carboneutral S.A., the authorized representative of the British firm The CarbonNeutral Company, to thereby obtain the CarbonNeutral® certification.
The calculation of the carbon footprint analyzed by Carboneutral S.A. yielded a total of 229 tons for 2010, of which 59.4% corresponds to energy consumption by the company while the remaining 40.6% corresponds to emissions associated with air travel, hotel stays, employee transportation, purchases of supplies, the creation and transport of waste, and mail sent to national and international destinations.
To compensate for such emissions, Claro & Cia. invested in the following emissions reduction projects:
- Aydin geothermic energy project, Turkey, VCS standard.
- Guohua Wind Power wind energy project, Turkey, VCS standard.
- Reforestation project for the meru and nanyuki community, Kenya, VCS standard.
- Methane capture project, Tieling, China, VCS standard.